If not now, when?

"If not now, when?" is attributed to Rabbi Hillel: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?"

Friday, October 01, 2004

What kind of sycophant would you like me to be?

I hope Bush learned some lessons from last night's debate. In short, he was unprepared for direct confrontation because he has isolated himself from direct and open questioning and because he surrounds himself with sycophants.

Sycophant: A person who seeks favor by flattering people of wealth or influence; a parasite; a toady. (Dictionary.com "word of the day" for 3/27/2000)

For example, Bush admitted in an interview with Fox News' Brit Hume on 9/23/03 that he doesn't read the news, but instead gets "briefed by people who probably read the news themselves." Bush complained that the news is mixed with opinion, but he just wants the news. "And the best way to get the news is from objective sources. And the most objective sources I have are people on my staff who tell me what's happening in the world." From Bush's face and body language during the debate, his "objective sources" do not seem to have prepared him for the doubts Americans have about his foreign policy and his invasion of Iraq.

In addition to avoiding newspapers, Bush has isolated himself from press questions and from audiences who are not part of his fan base. Bush has held far fewer news conferences than recent presidents, and many of the press conferences he has held were scripted. His audiences along the campaign trail are pre-approved, and their questions also are approved in advance. This isolation and protection has left him ill prepared for open debate and spontaneous questions.

Last night he was clearly irritated that his decisions were criticised and petulant when he had to defend them. He was visibly shaken when his spins were met with Kerry's clear explanations. Bush's performance revealed a man who is seriously disabled by his own choices to isolate himself and rely on sycophants.

Here's my favorite line from 101 Dalmations:
Cruella De Vil: What kind of sycophant are you?
Cruella's Assistant: Uh... what kind of sycophant would you like me to be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home