If not now, when?

"If not now, when?" is attributed to Rabbi Hillel: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?"

Thursday, September 30, 2004

More on Tony Blair and his party

An editorial in today's New York Times, "How Tony Blair Handled It, discusses how Tony Blair answers the questions his own party raised about his decisions in Iraq. In an earlier blog, I pointed out the ability of the British Labour party to question the leader of their own party and contrasted this with the "hallelujah chorus" of U.S. Republicans. I suggested some reasons Republicans don't behave like Labour, in short that Bush doesn't allow that dissent or questions are patriotic.

The bottom line of the editorial shows the contrast well: Blair "showed respect for his constituents by not glossing over the war and by not scorning those who consider it a terrible mistake."

George W. Bush is no Tony Blair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home