If not now, when?

"If not now, when?" is attributed to Rabbi Hillel: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?"

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Oh, if only we could claim the moral high ground

I get several letters a week from the Kerry campaign and I don't usually read them. Here's why:

At 5:47 PM -0500 9/24/04, Mary Beth Cahill, Kerry-Edwards 2004 wrote:

Dear Supporter,

We all know the harsh realities of Iraq. Unfortunately, George Bush has no plan to get us out of Iraq. Now George Bush thinks the future of Iraq is brighter than the future of America. He actually said that yesterday, "I saw a poll that said the right track/wrong track in Iraq was better than here in America."


And then she goes into what I can do for the campaign.

Cahill's interpretation of the Bush quote is just another example of the sloppy claims that have littered both sides of the campaing trail. If you look at the Bush quote, you see he didn't say, "the future of Iraq is brighter..."; he reported the results of a poll. She started out strong, made a good point, then lost it with an inept spin.

The point for the Democrats to make here--but they didn't--is that people here at home are unhappy with the track the current president has taken. People at home are more unhappy than the people of Iraq, who are in the midst of a war and whose governmental stability is tenuous, at best. On top of that, the current president is willing to point this out--and he is able to spin it so successfully he comes out sounding good to a lot of people.

Since I have been griping at the Republicans for misrepresenting Kerry, I sure do hate to see the Democrats take up the same overblown style. You can't win anyone over to your side--or even work up "the choir"--if you blow your credibility. It's all about ethos, about presenting yourself as trustworthy so people will listen openly to what you have to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home