If not now, when?

"If not now, when?" is attributed to Rabbi Hillel: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?"

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Context

The fool didn't want a Homeland Security administration. By combining it with FEMA, he was able to appear to value both, while quietly castrating them. That's what I meant by following the money. The important issue is not THAT these agencies failed, it's WHY they failed.

We've been recording The Daily Show this week--and it has been exceptional. I've watched the clip of the fool saying "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job," several times, and when the clip runs longer, you can see the little gasp an he turns and has to look at Brown, and you can see the loathing in the fool's eyes. I'm pretty sure I've found evidence that the fool is capable of irony. Toward the end of Lonesome Dove, Woodrow Call is praised as a man of vision. Call replies ironically, "Yes, a hell of a vision." (dissertation trivia: Charles Goodnight is the original source of this response.)

I actually believe that the fool is making the same ironic play on words: "hell/heck of a vision/job." And down the tubes goes Brownie. He did a heck of a job of making the fool look bad at a time when the fool was already looking bad. A heck of a job turning the attention of the public to the fool's system of rewards and punishment. It would be beneath me to mention that this could be why the fool failed to shine as a CEO, too. After all, that was then, old history. There's plenty of new history to talk about.

One reason to seek power is to be able to buy the loyalty of people. You place them in positions they haven't earned, especially if they've done you favors, because you don't want them holding your markers--and you continue to reward them for loyalty. And you define loyalty only in terms of yourself. (dissertation trivia: see Woodrow Call in Streets of Laredo). But the fool doesn't just reward loyalty, he snubs those who oppose him and seeks to harm those who "betray" him. Poor good ole' Brownie.

I wrote earlier about the fool and his ability to hold a grudge, and my example was the fool's grudge against the NAACP. New Orleans votes demo and Louisiana has a demo governer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home