If not now, when?

"If not now, when?" is attributed to Rabbi Hillel: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?"

Friday, September 02, 2005

FEMA director blames the victims

According to FEMA Director "Michael Brown thousands of people will die in New Orleans. But he goes on to say, "Unfortunately, that's going to be attributable a lot to people who did not heed the advance warnings," Brown told CNN. "I don't make judgments about why people chose not to leave but, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans," he said.

In the 2004 evacuation of N.O. for hurricane Ivan, as I've written in posts below, the N.O. mayor predicted 100,000 people would not be able to evacuate because they depend on public transportation. In addition, many visitors could not leave because they, too, were dependent on public transportation and airways.

Now I share the frustation over people who chose not to leave, even though they had means to do so, but the overwhelming majority of these stranded people had no means of leaving--and this was well known at least a year in advance.

FEMA must be desperate to side-step the blame and instead throw it at the indigent. And yet FEMA, too, was the victim of the short-sighted federal government who exploited 9/11 by trying to convince everyone that 9/11 was as bad as it gets--so that resources necessary for ordinary national defense were diverted, in order to miscarry the fool's private agenda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home